Okay, I know I just did a book review and I am not very good at them, but this one is significant. The book happens to be my mom's all time favorite book. When I was growing up and wanted something to read, or said I was bored my mom would thrust this book at me and try to get me to read it. (The book she had is the one pictured above.) Every single time these thoughts went through my head, first It looks so boring. Then, Why would I want to read a book about a girl with a man's name? And sometimes Who cares about a Canadian Mountie? So, with that kind of stimulation I found other books to read or activities to occupy my time.Recently my mom did a small blurb on her blog about it and my older sister mentioned she enjoyed it. I visited my grandpa and he mentioned that it was a family favorite. So, I read it. Yes, I finally read the book. It was not boring. But, I was still bothered by her being called Mrs. Mike. I would hate to be called Mrs. Andy. (Not that I don't love my husband.) Then I got over it when she talked about becoming one as the Bible says with her spouse and they were so close in mind and spirit they did just that. Plus, everyone calls her that because they knew her husband first and she in essence belongs with him. So, the title no longer bothers me. The Canadian Mountie part was also very interesting. I had never known or thought about the things they mentioned. I am quite familiar with the history of the area, but it never had any real emotion behind it. The book was about joy and hardship. It put my life into perspective and the blessings I enjoy. However, it was not my favorite. The book was published in 1947, so I was greatly surprised by the bad language. Words written stay with me longer than words said. (Weird?) I also felt like it left some things unresolved. But, I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. My next goal is to read my maternal grandmother's favorite book, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
I have been thinking that the driving force behind every movie, book and even life. It is LOVE. It may not be the love of another person even, but it is the love of something.
(Also, I am not good at book reviews because I go into a book wanting it to be good so much that I can easily forget about the flaws until they are pointed out to me. If a book I read has an element that bothers me, you know it is huge in my mind.)
1 comment:
read a tree grows in brooklyn, it is also one of my favorite books. funny thing is i couldn't really tell you why i love it so much, just that it is a very defining book for me. i would be really interested in what you think about it.
Post a Comment